Billy E. Vaughn, PhD CDP Biography
Birthplace: Houston, Texas
Hometown: San Diego, California
Current City: San Francisco, California
Education: Studied psychology at Long Beach State University & The University of California, San Diego (UCSD).
He earned the following degrees:
- Bachelors of Science (UC San Diego)
- Masters Degree studies (Long Beach State)
- Masters of Science (UC San Diego)
- Ph.D. (cultural-cognitive psychology)
- Certified Diversity Professional (CDP)
Expertise: Billy Vaughn is a workplace inclusion, engagement, & cultural competence expert, diversity and inclusion consultant, accomplished trainer, award winning teacher, and writer:
- Organizational change and effectiveness
- Training & learning systems design & development
- Organizational culture
- Cultural competence
- Managing emotions in intercultural interactions
- Perceptions of fairness and equity
- Instructional design
- Organizational behavior, and organizational assessment
- Asian Pacific Islanders American Public Affairs Association – APAPA (San Francisco Chapter)
- Elementary Institute of Science (Past board member)
Billy has published several books on managing diversity and diversity training, professional papers on multiculturalism in organizations, the role of emotion in intercultural conflict, and intercultural communication in organizations.
Teaching & Training:
His career began as a core faculty member at the California School of Professional Psychology (CSPP) in San Diego, which is one of four campuses of an elite private graduate school for training applied psychologists. It is currently a school within Alliant University. He designed and developed the Culture & Human Behavior program, which trains doctoral level applied cultural psychologists.
He has taught at the University of California, San Diego, California State University, Fullerton, Argosy University, and University of Lund (Sweden). He currently serves as dissertation chair for Walden University in the Organizational Psychology program.
His interest in applying his work in non-academic settings led to the development of Diversity Training University International (DTUI.com; www.dtui.com) in 1998. The free-standing corporate university furthers his goals of applying his knowledge and skills in training cultural competence among those in the community and workplace. The Diversity Executive Leadership Academy, an executive level diversity leadership certification institute, is a DTUI.com subdivision.
He has served as a consultant/trainer for city administrations, universities, community organizations, and Fortune 1000 companies. He is also invited to serve as keynote speakers by a range of organizations and businesses, such as the Multicultural Advocates for Cultural Competence organization. Billy has been invited to offer workshops at the National Conference on Race & Ethnicity in Higher Education for 9 years in a row due to his outstanding performance evaluations.
Consultation & Training Areas:
Billy Vaughn has a reputation as a consultant and trainer. He is contracted to provide the following services:
- Workplace civility and collegiality
- Employee Engagement
- Developing Inclusive Organizations
- Instructional design and distance learning
- Organizational Inclusion Assessment
- Training, team building & performance improvement
- Management consultations
- Executive cultural competence coaching
Billy has designed and developed several instruments, including the following:
- Sexual harassment classroom DVD/CD/WEB
- Sexual assault in the military training
- Retaining high potential women in the workplace (in partnership with Estoli Systems and Interweave)
- Healthcare Cultural Competence DVD/CD/WEB
- Collision Course II: A Diversity Simulation Game
- Organizational Inclusion Assessment Toolkit
- On-line diversity competency courses
- Several e-learning programs
- The diversity executive leadership academy programs (United States, European, and Asia versions)
- A host of diversity training workshops
Billy Vaughn is internationally recognized as a scholar for his research and writing in the area of diversity and inclusion: A partial list includes:
- He is contributor and editor of Diversity Training University International’s (DTUI) Cultural Competence Development e-Newsletter. It is a monthly e-mail subscription that provides employees with tips on how to promote diversity and inclusion in the workplace and organizations. Laudable comments about the utility of the lessons have come from staff at a number of businesses, including Bausch& Lomb, Lucent Technologies, Girl Scouts of America, and Hubbard & Associates. The lessons inspired the Strategic Staffing and Diversity Director at Bausch& Lomb to give DTUI a donation to support the Daily Diversity Lessons.
- Billy has publications in a number of scholarly journals and edited books, including Practicing Multiculturalism, The Handbook of Multicultural, Education, Research, Intervention, & Training, and the Proceedings of the National Association for Multicultural Education 7th Annual Conference, and the Managing Diversity eBook.
Billy Vaughn has been an invited speaker for numerous organizations, including:
- European Union Economic Growth & Innovation in Multicultural Environments conference (Leuven, Belgium)
- Arizona Minority Family Association, National Conference on Race and Ethnicity in Higher Education
- Conference on Migration and Workplace Integration (U. of Gothenburg, Sweden)
- Wright State University Diversity Day
- University of California
- National Conference on Race & Ethnicity in Higher Education
- Multicultural Advocates for Cultural Competence
Billy has been recognized with numerous awards, including:
- National Association for Multicultural Education National Achievement Award
- Multicultural Teaching awards
- Multicultural Pioneer awards
- Several Congressional and Senatorial service awards
- Senior Managing Partner
- Board member – Asian Americans in Public Affairs (San Francisco)
- Administrator at the California School of Professional Psychology (past)
- Past President, California Chapter of the National Association for Multicultural Education
Short List Clients:
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- PF Changs Restaurants
- QualComm Inc.
- Square Inc.
- Federal Aviation Administration
- Air National Guard
- U.S. Army SHARP unit
- U.S. Army Special Operations
- ITT Technology
- San Diego State University
- Peju Wineries
- City of Oceanside (California)
- State Farm Insurance
- Wright State University
- Chem-tronics Aerospace
- City of Longmont (Colorado)
- European Central Bank
- W.W. Grainger
- United States Navy
- U.S. Surgeon General’s Office
- New Brunswick Power
- Canadian Border Patrol
- Allstate Insurance
- Cook Medical
- Food and Drug Administration
- George Mason University
- U.S. Secret Service
- Director of Intelligence Office
- Central Intelligence Agency
- 84 Lumber
- United States Secret Service
- United States Coast Guard
- Food & Drug Administration
- Office of the Director of Intelligence
- National Reconnaissance Organization
NOTE: The above is a Partial List of Current and Past Customers That Valued Partnering with DTUI .
Billy also serves as a diversity coach for managers and business leaders who need support in building workplace diversity management skills.
What Clients Say About Billy Vaughn:
– David Belton, National Reconnaissance Organization, “DTUI is one of the best known secrets in the cultural diversity industry”.
– Jane Baker, Senior Human Resource Manager for Qualcomm, Inc., calls his work “awesome.”
– Stacy Burrell, National Reconnaissance Organization, “With DTUI’s assistance, NRO has become known as the model for leading diversity and inclusion in the intelligence community”.
– A senior human officer of Chem-Tronics aerospace company indicated that Billy is professional, non-threatening, yet effective in creating the changes needed to increase workplace awareness, knowledge, and skills.
– Kim Goldenberg, MD, President of Wright State University, indicated that he knew that Billy was the right person for the job.
- Mae Pouget, MD, Director of Diversity Surgeon General’s Office. I gladly offer a recommendation for Dr. Vaughn and DTUI.
– American Psychological Association
– Project Management Institute
– Diversity Leadership Forum
– Organization Development Network
– Washington Post (several times including a diversity training article)
– Front cover story in Diversity Employment Magazine (April/May 2002)
– The Gothenburg Post newspaper in Gothenburg, Sweden recognized Billy as an expert in understanding similarities and differences between Europe and U.S. workplace diversity issues (1999)
– His work was also recognized in the January 1999 issue of Employment Review, a national publication
– Wells Fargo Bank’s small business magazine (2002).
– Washington Post article on diversity training (January, 2008)
Billy is also civic minded. Currently he is a board member of the San Francisco Asian Americans in Public Affairs chapter. He served as member of the board of directors for the Elementary Institute of Science, which is an after school and weekend hands-on science program for school-aged children in a predominantly African American community in San Diego. He is on the advisory board of the San Diego Urban League’s Diversity Committee. Billy is a member of the South Beach Yacht Club in San Francisco.
Billy enjoys fly fishing, kayaking, boating, and traveling.